While their teeth and jaws are not as easily manipulated as children's, adults derive tremendous benefits from orthodontic treatment.
Common problems with adults that may be corrected by orthodontia include crowding or spacing of the teeth, over bite, under bite, tooth loss and degradation of the structures(jaw bones) that support the teeth. Adult tooth problems are generally far more complex, and an orthodontic appliance may be only one facet of an overall care plan involving such other specialists as an endodontist, periodontist, cosmetic dentist or oral surgeon.
Why You Should Consider Orthodontic Treatment
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth — Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing, and may help prevent other health problems.
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence — Orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence, giving you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
- Mouths left untreated can get worse — Not receiving orthodontic treatment when it's needed can create long-term health issues costing you more in the end.
- Bone and/or Gum Loss — Adults are far more likely to experience gum loss or bone loss from gum disease.
For many adults, the thought of having metal braces is enough to discourage them from receiving treatment. However, today's orthodontic treatment options offer a variety of braces and appliances that are comfortable, aesthetic, and customized to meet your needs. Types of braces include:
- Clear Ceramic braces
- Self-ligating braces
- Lingual (behind the tooth) braces
- Invisible braces (Invisalign)
- Traditional metal braces